EFEO Junior Field Research Fellowship
The École française d'Extrême-Orient awards scholarships to research
students, tenable for periods of research in an EFEO or ECAF Centre in Asia.
- Funding type: forfeit allowance.
- Amount: a monthly stipend varying between 700 and 1 360 € according to the academic level of the applicant (MA student or PhD student) and the country of field research in Asia.
- Duration: 1 to 6 months.
NB MA students are eligible for field research scholarships not exceeding two months.
- Discipline: research in humanities or social sciences applied to the history and civilizations of Asia.
- Qualifications: applicants must hold a BA, MA or a recognized equivalent qualification.
- Languages: good command of the language(s) required to successfully complete the field research project, as well as a working knowledge of French.
- Area: scholarships are tenable in EFEO or ECAF Centres in Asia. The research proposal must be compatible with the work of the Centre selected.
Application documents comprise:
- a cover letter addressed to the Director of the EFEO stating the objectives of the requested field study, specifying the dates of the projected period of research, the EFEO or ECAF Centre concerned, as well as any parallel scholarship application,
- a detailed description of the research project (1-5 pages) including a work schedule and a budget,
- a curriculum vitae with copies of degrees and certificates,
- a letter of recommendation by the applicant's thesis director or research supervisor,
- a photocopy of a valid ID (to be sent by fax or mail),
- a photocopy of the student card (to be sent by fax or mail).
NB EFEO field research scholarships may not be held concurrently with other scholarships, excepting travel subsidies, nor with salaried employment.
Completed applications should be submitted in electronic format to Ms Claire Prillard : email@example.com. They may also be mailed to the following address (date as per postmark):
École française d'Extrême-Orient
Service des bourses
22, avenue du Président Wilson
Deadlines for applications
- 31 March 2013, for scholarships tenable between 1 January and 30 June 2014.
NB Candidates may be awarded up to two scholarships for a total duration not exceeding 9 months.
Successful candidates must
- Bear the cost of local accommodation while working in EFEO or ECAF Centres.
- Provide a proof of adequate health insurance coverage.
- Cover their travel costs.
- Submit a report of 10-15 pages with an abstract not exceeding 150 words on the results of their field research. The report must be submitted in electronic format within one month after completion of the scholarship. It should be addressed to the Director of the EFEO at firstname.lastname@example.org and to the head of the host Centre in Asia. The abstracts are published in the annual report of the EFEO.